My Family’s Favorite Chocolate Cake
November 18, 2008 § 4 Comments
Would you believe that my family’s favorite cake — a cake that not only passed the “Dad” test, but a cake I also repeat TWICE over the course of my Uncle David’s one-week visits — has applesauce and shredded zucchini in it? It’s rich, chocolaty, moist and addictive. This recipe is from my Aunt Toni (thank you, thank you!).
2 + 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 + 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup applesauce (Plain is best)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded zucchini
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour a bunt pan.
2. Shred zucchini. Squeeze out as much moisture as you can, place into a strainer, and pour 1-2 tablespoons of the sugar called for in the recipe on top of the shredded zucchini. Mix and set aside to drain. Adding sugar will jump-start the osmosis process and release extra liquid from the zucchini.
3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, soda and salt.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter. Add applesauce. Add eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients alternately with sour cream.
5. Squeeze the zucchini removing as much liquid as possible. Fold into the batter. Lastly, fold in chocolate chips.
6. Pour into bunt ban and cook for approx, 60-70 minutes. Bake cake until a knife/toothpick comes out clean.
7. Release from pan after cake is cooled enough that the sides are free (at least 30 minutes). For safe measure, I usually take a thin spatula, and scrape down the sides of the pan to make sure the sides have completely separated from the pan. Once completely cool, dust top with sifted powdered sugar.
Diet Notes: Nut-free