Raspberry Oat Bars
December 24, 2008 § 3 Comments
These little bars are one of my favorite treats we make in the wintertime. It doesn’t require any special ingredients except a jar of good raspberry jam. They’re delicious warm and hold up well if you freeze and thaw (and they’re tasty frozen, too)!
1 + 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter (two sticks)
1/4 cup pecans
1/4 cup walnuts
1 + 1/2 cups quick oats
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 + 1/2 cups raspberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13 x 9″ baking pan with aluminum foil and grease foil. Alternatively, grease the pan if you’d prefer not to use aluminum foil. Either way yields great results with good texture. The foil simply helps pull the sheet of bars out of the pan with ease.
2. Mix flour, brown sugar, powder in a large bowl. Cut in butter. Add oats, coconut, nuts and mix well. The mixture will be crumbly (like below).
3. Press half of the crumb mixture into the prepared pan.
4. Smear with raspberry jam.
5. Top with dark chocolate chips.
6. Generously cover with other half of leftover dough.
7. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire rack and then cut into bars.